An Informal Letter to Facebook
Hey Facebook. How’s it going. Notice you’ve made some changes to the profile page. That’s okay, I like change. Change is good. But let me give you some advice, Facebook. Not as a user, but as someone with a Philosophy degree.
Your favourite quote is not a “philosophy”, Facebook. Neither are your religious views, political views, or opinions on cheesy snack stuffs.
- the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
- any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.
- a system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
- the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, esp. with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.
- a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Philosophy
Stop perpetuating the misuse of a term that has a very specific meaning and is actually a field of study. You wouldn’t arbitrarily stick “Mathematics” as a header on people’s favourite movies, would you?
Stop it. Stop it now.
Thanks.Posted on January 19, 2011 #facebook #letter #text #Uncategorized